Come and join us on Tuesday, 2/25 at Triangle Community Center as we discuss the outcomes and solution ideas described below that are a results of the Community Conversations on Mental Health that occurred at the center last fall. these conversations were facilitated by the Southwest Regional Mental Health board and focused on issues facing the LGBTQ community in Fairfield County and greater CT.
Major issues identified during first 2 sessions:
- The rejection of services to folk because of their sexual orientation. This is not AS prevalent in the NE but we suspect it occurs everywhere.
- Difficulty in identifying Affirming Providers
- The number of identities of a person…(eg Female, of color, lesbian) can increase suppression of symptoms and stigma and lead to decompensation.
- Visible involvement of Allies-bringing back the visible symbol of TRIANGLE?
- Media: TV, Radio, Billboards, writing
- Broader referral source-
- Increase Affirming Provider visibility…Affirming provider and Affirming PCP registries.
- Increase of awareness with Gender Free bathrooms for the public.
- Engaging Temples and Churches as Allies and for dialog
LGBTQ-identified individuals are at greater risk of Mental Health decompensation and experience barriers to both the search for and the discovery of affirmative Mental Health solutions.
Stereotypes persist. LGBTQ people are still subject to discrimination, which can have a negative effect on mental health. Effects are compounded when an individual has more than one marginalized identity; including social. Ethnic, language, culture, age, citizenship. For LGBTQ individuals who want or need Mental Health and/or spiritual care, affirming providers are not visible.
The passage of the Marriage Equality Act is an excellent step, but there is more that the LGBTQ individuals, partners and families need in terms of community acceptance and assimilation
1. Promotion of Gender Free bathrooms in local businesses and churches. Promoter not identified.
2. Affirming Provider Registry. For Mental Health Providers, Medical/psychiatric Providers and Spiritual Providers. Body/Mind/Spirit. Ask TCC to support/coordinate
3. Establish Ally network and promote Safe Space campaign. TCC to support perhaps
4. Establish Minority/Cultural Centers for LGBTQ folk.
5. Gay-Straight Alliance initiative. Partner with GLSN. Parade?
618 West Ave
Norwalk, CT 06850
Google map and directions