Triangle Community Center (TCC) is Fairfield County's leading provider of LGBTQ programming and resources to nurture growth and connection within the community.
TCC is the only organization focused exclusively on the LGBTQ community in Fairfield County, which is a community at much greater risk of isolation, discrimination, suicide, substance abuse, and HIV/AIDS than its peers. TCC has been in existence since 1990 and until 2013 operated with no full time staff. TCC hosts support groups and programs that provide health and human services to the LGBTQ community and works closely with Mid-Fairfield AIDS Project and World Health Clinicians on HIV/AIDS related outreach, testing initiatives, and creating a more informed and healthy LGBTQ community.
Position: Bridgeport and Norwalk Youth Programming Leader
*multiple positions available*
Position Summary: The Youth Group Leader(s) will report directly to the Director of Operations and will be required to attend a quarterly meeting regarding the growth and development of the program, including a yearly meeting to review compliance and performance. The main role for the Youth Group Leader is to foster a supportive and affirming environment while facilitating the effectiveness of group meetings. This includes the following:
- Lead an LGBTQ-competent youth group for ages 13-18 on a weekly basis (Norwalk)*
- Lead an LGBTQ-competent youth group for ages 13-18 on a monthly basis (Bridgeport)*
- Prepare for weekly meetings that include the following: setting and maintaining ground rules and a space for everyone to express what pronouns they use
- Create opportunities/activities that enrich discussions
- Look for ways to foster meaningful relationships among youth, connecting them in different settings
- Involve group members in conversations about discussion topics, potential activities, ground rules, etc.
- Encourage youth participation in TCC events, programs, community
- Actively identify reasons why participants feel discouraged to participate or join in community with TCC
- Maintain accurate records of youth group attendance
- Must attend a yearly LGBTQ competency training by TCC
The Youth Group Leader position is a part-time, volunteer position.
*The program leader positions in Norwalk and Stamford are separate positions. Thus, the frequency of the group's meetings dates differ.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, Associates or Bachelors degree preferred; plus 1-3 years experience in program leadership in the LGBTQ community and youth-specific programming
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and commitment to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer or questioning issues, specifically youth and communities of color
- Experience in community outreach, including social networking
- Exceptional time management
- Self-starter, extremely well organized, detail-oriented, and energetic
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet management, email and internet research
- Spanish speaking preferred
This is a volunteer position with the potential for a stipend for qualified candidates with commensurate experience.
Meeting in person or via phone with the Programs Coordinator or Service Coordinator, 1x month for approximately 20-60 minutes.
Applicants will be assessed on the basis of their experience, their professionalism/demeanor, and their credentials. Only applicants with Mental Health/Health/Counseling/Substance Abuse related degrees or certifications will be strongly considered for this position.
Please email cover letter, résumé and three professional references to: